|Full Name||Corey Jaron Riffin|
|Aliases||Core, The Riff Man, Front Man|
|Friends||Laney Penn, Kin Kujira, Kon Kujira, Nick Mallory, Kate Persky, Allie Day, Mina Beff (mixed), Mayor Mellow (mixed), Barney|
|Enemies||Trina Riffin, Mina Beff (mixed), Carrie Beff, Kim Kagami, Konnie Kagami, Lenny Nepp, Mayor Mellow (mixed), The Orb Experience|
|Love Interest||Laney Penn|
|Relatives||Mr. Riffin (adoptive father), Trina Riffin (biological sister), Cylus Riffin (great, great grandfather)|
|First Appearance||Grojband Pilot|
|Latest Appearance||Hear Us Rock Part 2|
|Voice Actor||Lyon Smith|
Corey Jaron Riffin is the main character and protagonist of Grojband. He is a 13 year old boy as well as the lead singer of a garage band with his friends called Grojband. He is voiced by Lyon Smith.
Concept BiographyEditCorey Riffin is a 13 year old boy who's popular with the dudes and even more so with the ladies. This is all because he's a charismatic guitar player with his very own garage band. His confidence with music, people, and day-to-day life is unparalleled. He isn’t cocky, but he’ll stand up to anyone or anything that gets in the way of him or his band. He is a very determined guy who will always complete whatever goals he sets himself up to without flaking out. Corey has a knack for making things go his way. He always seems to just have everything always falling perfectly into place whenever he wants something, and if they’re not, you can always bet he’s got a clever plan up his sleeve to turn things around. Corey also has A.D.D.  which has derailed the band’s plans, sending them off on wild, unrelated tangents on occasion. Not only this, but Corey also has some bizarre O.C.D. rituals which have him being known to make him always need to book a gig at any place any chance he get's, not being able to let even one slip by. Corey doesn't let these quirks let him down, instead of seeing these as mental disorders, he sees them as special abilities that he acts on to help him accomplish things and sure enough, it actually works. Whenever Corey has a clever idea, he says “I've got a crazy plan that just might work." This is his catchphrase which he uses in almost every episode and whenever he uses it, it's safe to say that this crazy plan surely will work. Corey knows that being the bands trusted leader is a super sweet gig and a great privilege that he is thankful to have. Although he may seem off in his own world at times, he always remembers that with great power, comes great responsibility and he’d never let the band down. Corey always comes through and can always be trusted. Okay sure, having the band’s success riding on his shoulders can be a bit heavy - but the band’s behind him 110%. They know Corey’s got the skills to pull it off which is stealing a bunch of Trina’s tripped out thoughts from her secret diary and turn them into a song because of his lack of writing his own good lyrics. Although this seems to be going good for them now, the band hopes it doesn't last too long cuz messin’ with Trina can take a lot out of a person. Needless to say, Corey will do anything to get Trina’s lyrics. He knows that her words are the cheese to his rock-aroni, so his main objective is to keep his sister's life looking like a Spanish soap opera until he can crack the whole lyric writing thing. If anyone found out he was rippin' these lyrics, it would be fatal to the reputation he's trying to maintain.
Corey Riffin and his older sister, Trina, were biologically related siblings in an adoption center and they were both one day adopted by a man known only as Mr. Riffin . Mr. Riffin was a single father , so he raised them all on his own. Little else is known about Corey's early childhood and only a few short flashbacks of him as a child have been seen in the series. It is implied that Trina used to love him dearly and care for him when she was really young, as shown in "Dreamreaver Part 2." However, this has long since subsided and the siblings are now at bitter war. In the episode "Indie Road Rager," it was shown by a flashback that Trina had hated Corey back when she was a little toddler, meaning that it was a really long time ago back when Trina got along with Corey. It was always Corey's destiny to play music and start up his own band, ever since he was a little kid. He fist wanted to do this from a kids TV show, which had a colorful mechanical band called The Bubble Bunch Band. This inspired him into starting up with own band, a wish that would later come true. In the episode "Bee Bop A Loofah," it was shown that Corey had an interest in playing the guitar ever since he was a toddler.
Starting up GrojbandEdit
At some point in Corey's life (most likely somewhere around the age of a kid), Corey had started up a garage band with his friends Kin Kujira, Kon Kujira, and Laney Penn. Corey became the lead singer and guitarist, Kin became the keyboardist, Kon became the drummer, and Laney became the bassist and they named their band Grojband. Together, they all played some music and sang some already existing songs and realized that they were all amazing at playing music and singing. However, when it came to them writing their own lyrics for their own songs, they realized that they were terrible at writing lyrics. Fortunately, Corey found a way to get lyrics from his sister's diary. Trina would always write about her problems in her diary when she got really mad about something to help get her emotions out. Corey took a look in her diary for fun to see what she wrote and found that her diary entries were really well worded and profound and he realized that they would make perfect lyrics for a song. It was from that moment on they used Trina's diary entries as lyrics for all of their songs and their band became awesome.
Corey Riffin is a 13 year old boy with blue hair, black eyes, white skin, an upside-down raindrop shaped face and a rounded breast with a thinner body. He has an orange beanie-hat on his head that has a tiny little picture of a skull on it. He has a black concert shirt with 3/4 white sleeves and a white collar and under that is a pair of orange commando shorts. He has blue and white sneakers and white socks under them. In Line of Credit, he is revealed to be about 5"2 (157.5cm) tall.
Corey is the kind of guy who greets every day with a smile and enthusiasm. He is a fun-loving, adventurous, witty, and laid-back dude that almost never feels any negative feelings (excluding fear). He always has a great adventure packed up in his crazy brain. He has quite a bit of quirks, and is always getting into some sticky situations. However, he is always finding a clever way to weasel his way out of every single problem that may face him, revealing him to be resourceful, clever, and quick-witted. Corey's mind works in a very inconsistent pattern, as he always comes obsessed with doing something completely different than the last and he gets over these obsessions as quick as he gets them. To sum up, his mind is very clever and he can think of a very ingenious plan to do something important in a very short amount of time and he never fails at doing anything no matter how deep in trouble he'll get himself into.
Corey's emotions are not too complicated. They are almost always statically set on happiness and and he's good at keeping a straight face and chipper attitude at most times. Usually, he will express some fear when it's fitting for the situation though and when he does, he really lets it all out. He rarely expresses anger, but, when Trina, his worst enemy, takes away something extremely precious to him (usually his reputation or his ability to play music), he throws away his usually calm approach and becomes much more aggressive. Such an example occurs in "Wish Upon a Jug". He additonally expresses a small steam of anger when it comes to The Newmans because they are some true competition and they will not go down nearly as easy as Trina, as evidenced in "Rock the House". Other times when Corey became furious include "No Strings Attached", "Love in a Nethervator", "It's in the Card" and "Dueling Buttons" because of an offensive remark, hours of elevator music, an angry scream, and Trina's uprising, respectively. Despite this, he usually sticks to that calm approach, most likely because he knows that he'll always be able to reign superior upon his enemies. Another thing to note is that it's not just negative feelings that he ignores but some positive feelings too. For instance, love is very foreign to Corey and he knows nothing about it, as seen in the episode "All You Need is Cake". This doesn't make things easy for Laney because of her secret crush on him that he is completely oblivious to, resulting in Laney's chances with him being drastically lowered. However, hope still exists as in "Curse of the Metrognome", Corey and Laney kissed and he appeared to enjoyed it, indicating that he can hide and control his emotions rather well. Aside from this, he feels a variety of sad emotions at times, such as in "All You Need Is Cake" when Kin and Kon quit the band, and Corey sheds a single tear. In "Grin Reaper", when Corey was singing a depressing song to everyone in Peaceville, he made a tear come from his eye. This seemed to have been done on purpose as he was intending to make everyone sad, indicating once more that when though Corey never expresses his emotions, he is really good at controlling them. In the episode "The Snuffles with Snarffles", Corey and the rest of the band had their heart strings tickled, when seeing a depressing video about sick animals at the vet who onlt want to be adopted. This made him feel teary eyed. He was able to brush it off quickly, but he was still very motivated to get the animals adopted. In the episode "It's in the Card", after the band breaking up, as mentioned before, Laney had a very profound pre-recorded message for him, which made him feel very deeply and made him cry and get back together with the band again. His last and most notable time expressing sadness would be in "Hear Us Rock Part 2", when he was defeated by Trina for once. He acted very just about this and accepted this defeat pretty easily, but not happily at all. It should be noted that Corey's reaction is exactly what made Trina accidentally ruin her own victory, resulting in the band saving the world from destruction.
RelationshipsEditCorey and Trina
Corey and Trina have a classic sibling rivalry with each other. Trina hates Corey with a burning passion and she is extremely rude to him, which comes to no surprise, as she treats him just as horribly as she treats everyone else (other than Nick Mallory). However, Corey is generally level headed and will not get angered by Trina's actions, but still enjoys giving her trouble with her attempts to win over Nick Mallory. On rare occasion, he will become immensely angry such as in Wish Upon a Jug or Dueling Buttons. For the most, Corey and his band go to great lengths to make Trina mad, so that she will go into said Diary Mode and write the lyrics they need for a song. Corey still shows to have some respect for Trina when he makes her go into diary mode as seen in some episodes, as he will make her go into a Love Diary Mode where instead of angering her, he'll overjoy her. Both of which give lyrics that are just as good. In Dreamreaver Part 2, it's revealed that there was a time when Trina did care about Corey, back when she went by the name Katrina, but this nice version of her was imprisoned in her mind by the real Trina.Corey and Laney
Corey and Laney are bandmates and childhood best friends. Unbeknownst to Corey, Laney has a secret crush on him, but is unable to bring herself to tell him. Early in the series Corey seems to be completely oblivious to this, and does not exhibit the slightest indication of returning her feelings.  He does, however, view her as a close friend, but treats her as he would treat a boy rather than a lover, which has become a running gag in the series. Laney is easily annoyed by the treatment she receives from him, but generally shrugs it off. He also has a strange habit of frequently making physical contact with her, but this is more due to Corey's friendly personality and treats everyone this way. Regardless, Laney loves it whenever Corey does this and will become love-struck afterwards. Both of them also refer to each other by nicknames such as Corey calling Laney "Lanes", while Laney refers to him as "Core". On rare occasions (especially late in the series), there are signs he does acknowledge that she's a girl, and gives hints that he loves her, such as in Pop Goes the Bubble, or Girl Fest. It is implied that he may have finally gained feelings for her in the episode Curse of the Metrognome where the two of them share their first (albeit accidental) kiss, with both of them noticeably enjoying the moment. As of the moment, the two have yet to start an official relationship.Corey, Kin, and Kon
Kin and Corey are good friends as well as bandmates. Both are also quite close with Kin's brother Kon, with the three of them getting along quite well. Kin is very handy to have by Corey's side, being a source of endless whacky inventions; such as the Grojcar in Indie Road Rager, or the One Man Band Pack in Rock the House. They are either a huge help to Corey's scheme, or a major annoyance, either way something unexpected will usually occur. Kin is also generally more complacent with going along with Corey's plans than Laney is. All in all, the two are good friends virtually all the time.Corey, Kin, and Kon
Kon is Corey's friend and fellow bandmate. He is in the band with him and he always plays along with him and wants to do things with him as a friend. Although Kon likes his brother Kin more and seems to have a stronger and more in depth relationship with him, Kon is very loyal to Corey and is always willing to do what he tells him to do so long as he can do it with his brother Kin. Kon will sometimes go too far with this though and he will often times do stupid things that will get him painfully hurt or put in huge danger to help the band.Corey and Nick
Nick Mallory and Corey don't really interact with each other in the show very often, but it is implied that they are good friends. They seem to talk to each other about things in episodes such as "Cloudy with a Chance of Malt Balls" when Corey came up to Nick on the streets and they both talked about Cherry Grapestain and her movie. In the episode That's My Jam, Nick acknowledged the fact that he's friends with Corey and they hugged after Corey won the Jam Competition. In the episode Hear Us Rock Part 1, Nick and Corey were sitting at the ice cream store and talking about the apocalypse.Corey and Mayor Mellow
Corey and Mayor Mellow are usually portrayed as being good friends, but Mayor Mellow is often annoyed by Corey's more ridiculous antics, and although he usually enjoys Grojband's songs sometimes he believes they disturb the quiet serenity that he desires for Peaceville. Similarly, the ridiculous restrictions Mayor Mellow puts up are a constant challenge to Corey if he wants to land a gig. Mayor Mellow will sometimes try and stop Corey from playing music. This causes the two to sometimes clash, but usually the problem is resolved by the end of the episode, where Mayor Mellow will thank Grojband for performing their song, helping to rid the problem of the episode or offer them a chance to play more gigs. While Corey will often thank the Mayor for his cooperation, but apologetically turn down his offers to let them continue playing, as he almost always changes his mind by the end.
For more information about this section, visit: Kate, Allie, and Corey
Kate and Allie are Corey's biggest fans. They are both obsessed with him and they love everything about him. They will constantly go out of their way to do what he wants, follow him around, and squeal to show how much they love him and his band. In the episode "Group Hug," their love for him was taken to the extreme, where it's revealed they built a shrine for Corey and the band in their house which also had an exact replica of the Garage, though they made it a mirror image as they thought being exactly the same would be too creepy. They go so far as to kidnap Corey and the band, (whilst catering to their every need), because they loved him so much, and wished to know if he loved him in return.
For more information about this section, visit: Grojband and The Newmans
Corey Riffin hates the Newmans' guts, and is eager to show it. The Newmans are Grojband's rival bands and Corey's worst enemies other than his sister. Grojband is a bigger band than the Newmans and they are always trying to take the spotlight away from them. Fortunately for them, Grojband always stops them and keeps their title as a bigger and better band than The Newmans. In the episode Kon-Fusion, Grojband and The Newmans agreed to team up and sing a song together that's a mixture of their music. When they did, each member of Grojband seemed to have developed a friendship with the member of The Newmans that they were together with. By the ending of the episode, they started to grow apart and it is implied that they go back to being enemies again.
Out of all of The Newmans, Corey by far hates Carrie the most. Carrie is always trying (and failing) to make her band a bigger and better band than Grojband and Corey is always trying to keep his band bigger and better than theirs. The two of them both have a rivalry with each other where they will constantly get into band battles of which Corey always wins. However, in the episode "Rock the House," it was implied that Carrie had beaten Corey in a pinball competition. In the episode "Kon-Fusion," Corey and Carrie agreed that they would both get along with each other long enough to write a crossover song. They ended up getting their bodies fused together and they actually became fond of each other and seemed to act slightly friendly toward each other. They both learned so much about each other and their lives and got along a lot better then they expected they would. At the end of the episode, they had their bodies defused again and they most likely became rivals again after that.
Like with most people, Corey mistakes Lenny for a girl and gives him feminine names. In the episode Rock the House, he said "Sorry to rattle you girls", addressing all members of The Newmans, to which Lenny responded "I'm a boy!" Corey tends to be very insensitive toward Lenny and completely ignores him, in a similar way he does to Laney, only when he does it to Lenny, he's a lot more disrespectful.
To see a list of quotes made by Corey Riffin, come here.
Episodes Focusing on CoreyEdit
- Grojband Pilot
- Smash Up Terby
- Cloudy with a Chance of Malt Balls
- Love in a Nethervator
- One Plant Band
- Space Jammin'
- All You Need is Cake
- No Strings Attached
- Wish Upon a Jug
- Six Strings of Evil
- Line of Credit
- Dreamreaver Part 2
- That's My Jam
- The Snuffles with Snarffles
- For Hat and Country
- Myme Disease
- Who Are You
- Group Hug
- Dueling Buttons
- It's in the Card
- Curse of the Metrognome
- Hear Us Rock Part 1
- Hear Us Rock Part 2
- The skull on his orange and blue beanies and his Pajama shirt is exactly like the one on Duncan's Shirt from the Total Drama series and the one on the Shirt of Eric Needles from the Sidekick series. It later appears on Jesse's shirt in the Looped series. This was likely because these shows were all made by Todd Kauffman and Mark Thornton. So, Corey may be a slight parody on Duncan or lightly based off him.
- Despite Corey Riffin is smillar to Danny from Danny Phantom where he's a biggest fan to everyone, being a teenager, making fun of boys.
- His last name "Riffin" may be a pun on the phrase "Riffing on a guitar", as Corey very regularly does this on his guitar in the show.
- Contrary to what the theme music would suggest, Corey doesn't actually steal the lyrics from Trina's diary, as he writes his own lyrics with his own words and he just looks at her diary entries for inspiration.
- Corey's hair is naturally blue.
- In the episode "No Strings Attached", it was revealed that the reason he got inspired to start his own band was because of him watching a show when he was a little kid about an animatronic band called The Bubble Bunch Band.
- There have been multiple episodes where Corey lost the ability to play his guitar.
- In the episode "Pox N Roll," Corey and his band got electric mittens that shocked him every time he touched his instruments.
- "In the episode "Wish Upon a Jug," Trina wished for her brother and his band to be unable to play music.
- "In the episode "Who Are You," Corey forgot how to play the guitar and stopped caring about music.
- In the episode "Curse of the Metrognome," the Metrognome cursed Corey and the band, making them lose their timing which made them unable to play music.
- In the episode "Dueling Buttons," Corey played Solo Shredder so much, his hands were temporarily rendered useless for playing his guitar.
- Corey and Trina are biologically related. They were both adopted and are being raised by a single father. It is unknown who their biological parents are and what their real surnames are.
- Corey's signature color is blue.
- Corey's catchphrase is "I've got a crazy plan that just might work." He says this catchphrase in the episodes "Cloudy with a Chance of Malt Balls," "Helmet," "One Plant Band," and "Monster of Rock."
- Kin stole Corey's catchphrase in the episode "Zoohouse Rock."
- Corey has the nickname "Core." The person who gives him this nickname the most is Laney.
- Corey is allergic to cats.
- This is first shown in the episode "One Plant Band" when Kon rubs a cat on Corey's face to make him sneeze out the hypnotic pollen that Planty possessed his mind with.
- Despite his allergy, in the episodes "Super Zeroes" and "The Snuffles with Snarffles, Corey was able to carry Dr. Purr and Wheelie without having an allergic reaction, this is because they're danderless cats.
- Corey's middle name is Jaron.
- The name "Jaron" comes from the Hebrew name "Yaron" which means to sing and shout praises. This connects because Corey is a singer and he is always singing and shouting.
- This was supported in the episode "Dueling Buttons" when Corey typed his initials into the game and they were shown to be "CJR."
- Corey's original name was intended be "Tre Trippin."
- In the episode Indie Road Rager, it was revealed that Corey did not have the skull on his shirt instead of his hat when he was younger.
- In the episode Curse of the Metrognome, Corey and Laney accidentally kiss and Corey seemed to have enjoyed it. This implies that Corey might be in love with Laney and that he's just really good at hiding it.
- According to a brief summary of Corey via Grojband's production BlogSpot, Corey has possible OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder)
- In the episode "Bee Bop A Loofah", it's shown that Corey does not dance very well (according to Laney).
- This, however, may not be true seeing as how Corey was seen dancing pretty well during songs in other episodes such as This Bubble Don't Pop.
- Due to his trusting nature, Corey has been mind controlled and/or brainwashed multiple times throughout the series.
- In the episode Helmet, the Evil Helmet took over Corey's mind and made him turn evil until Kin and Laney broke it off of him.
- In the episode One Plant Band, Corey inhaled some gaseous fumes from Planty which controlled his mind and made him a vegan.
- In the episode Six Strings of Evil, the Guitar of Rocklympus took control over Corey's mind and made him destroy other instruments and sources of music.
- In the episode Grin Reaper, Torbo gave Corey a bracelet which brainwashed him and made it so that he was always happy about everything.
- In the episode Who Are You, Corey walked backwards while wearing the Shoe-Niversities which brainwashed him of his knowledge of playing music and his care for the rest of his band. He used them again in the same episode which brainwashed him to care too much about his band.
- It has been confirmed that Corey's favourite colour is periwinkle.
- Corey's nickname "The Front Man" originated from his superhero secret identity in the episode "Super Zeroes." and the fact that he is the 'Front Man' of Grojband.
- It is a running gag that Corey always says something totally clever at the end of an episode and Laney points out it could make good lyrics, but they never use it.
- His eyes go all huge and round and his eyelashes are shown when he gets emotional. When this happens, sometimes he is shown with blue eyes.
- In the episode On the Air and Out to Sea it was revealed that Corey is ambidextrous.
- He has a dislike for movies, as he thinks they're too long and boring.
- He shares a lot of similarities with Irwin Dexter from Detentionaire
- Both are voiced by Lyon Smith.
- Both are allergic to cats.
- Both are the leaders of their clique/group.
For more information about this section, visit: Corey Riffin/Gallery
- ↑ http://grojband.blogspot.com/search?q=Corey
- ↑ http://neptoonstudios.tumblr.com/post/58745875621/but-corey-and-trina-are-biologically-related-right
- ↑ http://neptoonstudios.tumblr.com/post/58599183195/what-happened-to-the-riffin-siblings-mom-is-she-dead
- ↑ http://neptoonstudios.tumblr.com/post/57573484033/is-corey-wearing-a-white-turtleneck-with-a-vest-
- ↑ http://neptoonstudios.tumblr.com/post/70843437579/will-corey-ever-fall-in-love-with-laney-if-he-finds-out
- ↑ http://neptoonstudios.tumblr.com/post/90805554688/is-it-true-that-corey-is-starting-to-have-feelings-for
- ↑ http://neptoonstudios.tumblr.com/post/90805170803/okay-so-why-is-corey-seen-giving-laney-all-these-lovey
- ↑ http://neptoonstudios.tumblr.com/post/92665628238/is-blue-coreys-natural-hair-colour-i-need-to-know-this
- ↑ http://neptoonstudios.tumblr.com/post/84629929908/my-sister-wants-to-know-if-corey-was-allergic-to-cats
- ↑ http://neptoonstudios.tumblr.com/post/75201610967/if-corey-is-allergic-to-cats-then-how-did-he-hold
- ↑ http://neptoonstudios.tumblr.com/post/79217058729/ive-saw-a-certain-picture-with-coreys-initials
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaron
- ↑ http://neptoonstudios.tumblr.com/post/90807048458/jaron-is-hebrew-for-he-who-sings-which-is-awesome
- ↑ http://neptoonstudios.tumblr.com/post/57208817656/were-there-any-other-name-possibilities-for-corey-or
- ↑ http://neptoonstudios.tumblr.com/post/77240699125/whats-coreys-favorite-color